Thursday, November 11, 2010

APPLE BUTTER

16 c. harvest apples, washed, cored, unpeeled, and chopped
2 c. apple cider
2 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
Dash of ginger, nutmeg, mace and allspice to taste
Combine apples and cider in crockpot. Cover and cook on low heat 10- 12 hours. Puree in food mill, sieve or food processor. Return apple mixture to pot and add sugar and spices. Cover and cook on low heat 6-10 hours. Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal. Apple butter may also be cooled and pureed in freezer containers and frozen for several months. Makes 4 pints.

I peeled and cut my apples first then put in crockpot, it didn't take my 12 hours so you'll want to watch. If you have a hand blender it works awesome. I just let the apples & cider cool first, worked like a charm! I also didn't add ginger mace or allspice but did add a pinch of nutmeg.

I got this recipe from my sister, Robin. I gotta try it. Apple butter is an all time favorite of our husbands from Grandma Osterhout.

No comments:

Post a Comment